Messy Midnight Quesadillas
Normally, messes give me a bit of anxiety and make me feel extremely unorganized. I do have moments where I leave my clothes scattered all over the bed, or leave my makeup bag emptied out on my bathroom sink and counter with brushes, shadows, lip liners, and 3 different kinds of mascara all over the place, usually only to find them having rolled onto the floor and behind my toilet. I can handle that, but when it comes to my kitchen I have a no-foodman left behind rule. I make sure every crumb is picked up, dishes are at LEAST rinsed off, and no food is left out. When I cook, I even have the dish water ready if I can, to just throw the spoon or pan into it and wash right after eating. I like tidiness in the kitchen as it makes things easier on my stress level and in my mind. When it comes to making messy dishes, I try and steer clear of them, unfortunately…but…and everyone has one😜…this dish is an exception. This is a dish that cannot be denied…and it is indeed very messy not only to make but to eat. Get ready to get your fingers and chin all dirtied up in this amazing recipe of plant-based goodness. Watch my IGTV video to see just how messy it can be and then read on to make your own mess if you dare…
Sometimes in the middle of the night, if I happen to be awake, the “Hunger Strikes Back”. I hop up like a Jedi prepping for battling the dark side, and pull out my go-to staples from the kitchen. This dish, easy as it seems, is so amazingly flavorful and filling that you won’t need to stock up on chips, popcorn or fruit. It’s as healthy as it is sinfully delicious. I’ve made this dish several times now and it always tastes amazing. Here is what you will need:
- 2 oz. of baby spinach, chopped (just grab 2 handfuls, don’t measure)
- 2–3 roasted red peppers, diced (I like to use the 365 Whole Foods Brand of canned roasted red peppers)
- 2 heaping spoonfuls of vegan cream cheese (I use Tofutti herb cream cheese)
- 1–2 avocados, mashed
- 1 lime
- 2 Flour tortillas
- ¼ cup of vegan mayo
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
Here is how you make this fabulous mess:
- Start by cutting up your spinach. You can loosely chop this as it doesn’t have to be perfectly diced. Make sure the stems are removed before cutting though…I’m not a fan of those little suckers in my quesadillas! Set this aside in a bowl.
- Spoon out that creamy, avocado goodness from its skin and add to the spinach bowl. Stir. And Stir. And Stir. And Stir. And while you are at it…
- Bump your hips a little to some damn fine music and take a sip of your favorite beverage. Mine at the moment, with it being so humid here in Chicago, is just regular ol’ vodka soda with lime. Did I mention the soda is Lacroix Grapefruit? Dude…get on that train if you are not…hallelujah!
- Next, dice up your red bell peppers. If they are canned, this should be really easy to do. They look like cute little hearts….kinda morbid, but they smell divine. If you don’t like to use canned, go the DIY route and use fresh red bell peppers. Roast these over your gas burner and turn them for a consistent char around the skin. Or you can throw them in the oven for a bit. Once they have a nice blackened skin, cut off the naughty bits (stem and remove any seeds from the inside) and slice and dice these bad boys up. Set these aside in a separate bowl.
- Scoop out 2 heaping spoonfuls of vegan cream cheese. Add this to your red pepper bowl. Stir in a teaspoon of ground cumin and ½ teaspoon of paprika. Add some sea salt (I like quite a bit, but add to taste) and stir it all together. Mmmmmmm sexy mix of red pepper and cream cheese…can you imagine what this is gonna taste like melted on a tortilla. Holy Jeebus…
- Scoop out ¼ cup of your favorite vegan mayo into a small side dish or bowl. Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice of both halves into the mayo. Add some salt and black pepper to taste. Mix this all together creating your sauce for your dish. Set aside with love.
- Once again, pause and move around your kitchen wagging your tail and close your eyes as you throw down on the dance (kitchen) floor. 5 minutes at least…you gotta mix that good juju up in your body and send that energy out into your food!! (Refer to my previous blog post for more on this)
- Get a medium size pan hot and ready on your stovetop. I’d say heat it up to medium heat at the highest. Add a little bit of Earth Balance butter. I don’t like using oil with quesadillas, as butter tends to leave a nice little brown on the tortillas, whereas oil just makes them a little too shiny for me.
- While the pan is heating up, lay out a tortilla and on one half add the red pepper and cream cheese mixture. The other half, lay on the avocado and spinach mixture. Fold this in half and add to your pan.
Oh yeah…magick’s happening here.
- After a few minutes, flip over to the other side. Flip one more time and then remove the tortilla from the burner and place on a cutting board or pizza stone.
- *This part is important…did I mention these little dudes were messy? Make sure to cut the quesadilla in triangles with the base of the knife at the FOLD of the quesadilla. Cut from the edges to the fold and do it swiftly, or that creamy melted goodness is gonna slide right out of its shell!
- Sprinkle or douse your lime mayo sauce over the top of these gorgeous little snacks and before you indulge, in the words of the great house music legend, Sunshine Jones:
“Open up your mind, open up your heart, open up your hands…be quiet…and let your mustache blow sweetly in the breeze.”
Grab some napkins and enjoy ❤️