How do I put this without sounding sexual...this belongs in your mouth. NOW!
Yes, my loves, the title says it all. I honestly tried to think of a way to describe this deliciousness without sounding crude or perverted, but unfortunately you’ll have to deal with my title the way it is. Because after making this dish…you’ll understand why I HAD to go there.
The other night, I was craving grilled cheese. I didn’t really have a lot to work with at home, so I made a quick trip to the local grocery store, where all of these items can be found, and quickly picked and packed my way out the door and home to my cozy little kitchen.
I felt like getting creative…and of course my little kitchen-witch alter ego was unleashed.
I wanted savory. I craved spice. I was aching for creamy…decadent…salty…buttery cheez bread with PUNCH. I needed this in my life. At this moment. Nothing else would suffice.
I whipped up a concoction that can only be described as an enticing buttery crunchy sandwich leaving you with a desire for more and more and MORE 🤤
This, my loves, is sure to win your hearts over. But be warned, it’s plant based but not super healthy, so try to endulge in moderation…try being the key word 😉
Ingredients for the Pesto:
1 garlic clove, halved
A few basil leaves, torn into small pieces
1/4 cup (a handful) slivered almonds
2 handfuls of arugula
1 jalapeño, diced (optional)
- Btw: cut this up with GLOVES ON…I learned the hard way and my hands were on fire for 2 days…ouch🌶
A few dashes of your favorite Italian seasonings
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
*this will require a food processor, so if you do not have one, I recommend buying a good vegan pesto: Seggiano’s Fresh Basil Pesto Genovese is my go-to
Ingredients for The Decadence:
1 roasted red pepper, sliced
- can be canned or roasted at home (see previous blog on how to do this)
1 small tomato, sliced
Earth Balance butter, for coating the bread with love 👅
- I used the brand below, but it does contain honey, so if your hardcore vegan and honey is 86’d from your diet, make other arrangements.
Cheez Ingredients for this madness:
Shredded Mozzarella and Cheddar
- I used the brands below but feel free to use whatever you like…shredded, blocked, sliced, grated…endless possibilities and it will all come out amazing.
Throw on your booty shakin’ playlist, grab an ice cold beverage and let’s get this thing goin’
Directions for ultimate pleasure:
1. Add the garlic, almonds, arugula, basil, salt, seasonings, jalapeño and oil to a food processor and pulse, occasionally pausing and spooning the mix off the sides until you get the consistency below.
2. Scoop the pesto out into a small dish and set aside.
3. Add the sliced tomato and roasted red pepper to the food processor and again pulse until you have the consistency of a nice and chunky marinara like below. Spoon out and set aside in another small bowl *if you do not have a food processor, just dice up the red pepper and tomato, lightly mix the two together and set them aside. Viola
4. Take two slices of sourdough bread and butter these babies up on one side (or both sides if you want really savory and slippery bites)
5. On one piece, the unbuttered side, add some pesto. Go light in this, as the flavors pack a decadent punch, and too much pesto can cause some heartburn.
6. Add some of the cheddar and mozzarella cheez on top of the pesto. GET GREEDY HERE! Don’t you dare hold back! Layer it on nicely, and shake your hips while you do this. Add that gooood juju to your food!!
7. On the second slice of bread, add the tomato red pepper mixture. If you didn’t use a processor, add the sliced goodness to the top of the cheese heap to avoid the sandwich falling apart
8. Close this up like a great book, and give it a hug with your hands…squish that beautiful mess altogether and get your palms buttery!!!
9. Add this to a low to med heated pan and flip occasionally until it’s nice and brown. Are you getting hungry???
10. When done, float this beast over to a plate or cutting board and slice in half…marvel at its creamy core…and inhale it with gluttonous lust…
Super easy to make and trust me when I say that it’s more filling than it seems. If your looking for a little more protein, throw on some sliced avocado, but watch out for those slippery little f*ckers!!
Check out my IGTv video titled Grilled Cheez and Homemade pesto to see how it’s done proper!
PS: Be Love, guys and gals. Be the Love. ❤️🔥